Wednesday, August 13, 2008

wax-on wax-off, to notice the details

Have you ever noticed that you see every detail of a car when you wax it. Every ding, scratch, or spot of oxidation. You notice the lines, grooves, and metallic accents. Teeth are the same thing. Today I did a diagnosis with my PAF and started into OHC and a prophy. I had found two problems, but he listed about 15 areas of decay and noted a periapical lesion. Why didn't I see that? So I sat there looking like I have crap for brains. Then he turns to me, "So, whats your treatment plan crap-for-brains?" He didn't really say that, but it was obvious I should have caught some of that.

Here is my new system for detecting problems:
1. Setup a voice recorder.
2. Start with tooth #30. Why? Cuz, that’s the way it is, that’s the way I like it, and that’s by biz.
3. State Mobility
4. State Restorations / wear facets
5. Look closely at each surface, following with the explorer state possible decay.
6. State calculus, overhangs, open margins
7. State gingival defects / conditions

My goal is to pretend that I am quickly cleaning each surface. That way hopefully I'll catch everything and not waste time and loose face in front of my primary. Later I'll listen to the audio and type it into a general note.

No comments: